SENIOR CONSULTING ENGINEER
Roger Lewis is a qualified engineer and safety specialist with extensive experience in the application of engineering and human factors principles, product design, failure analysis and risk control.
Having over 25 years experience in automotive engineering and vehicle architecture, predominantly with Ford Australia and Ford Asia Pacific, with a strong focus on the safety of vehicle occupants and pedestrians, Roger brings a wealth of knowledge to his clients seeking to improve their safety and ergonomics environment.
Roger routinely advises businesses across a broad range of industries, including transport, logistics, manufacturing, construction and retail, on safe systems, ergonomics improvement, injury prevention, as well as compliance to relevant standards, practices, codes and legislative requirements.
Some examples of his work include:
- Enhanced driver cabin and seating arrangements for Z3 class trains (Downer Group)
- Safety and ergonomics assessment of new Myki equipment in several tram classes (Yarra Trams)
- Improved drivers seat headrest of B Class trams (Yarra Trams)
A skilled forensic incident investigator, Roger delivers expert ergonomics and engineering evidence in litigated personal injury claims, specialising in product failures, plant and machinery accidents, and trips and falls.
Some examples of cases Roger has provided expert opinion in include:
- McDonald v National Express Group Australia – court evidence
- Metri v Nestlé Australia Ltd – court evidence
- Serious workplace injuries (e.g. amputations) involving plant, material handling vehicles (e.g. forklifts), guarding of machinery, and unsafe systems of work
- Product failure incidents involving bicycles, rollators and ladders
- Incidents arising from unsafe use of power tools including angle grinders and impact drills
He holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Aerospace Engineering with honours and an Associate Diploma of Music Performance in French Horn.
Roger’s passion for engineering stems far beyond the office as he loves to spend his spare time designing and building all things timber and steel including decks, fences, wine racks, trailers and theatre sets. When he’s not building or repairing broken stuff, he enjoys assisting with bushfire recovery, music performances, modern history, spending time with his family and hugging greyhounds.
Awards & Achievements
- 2012: Played integral role (vehicle engineering and architecture) in bringing the Ford Ranger to market
- 2001: Design for Six Sigma (Green Belt), Ford Asia Pacific
- 1998: Associate Diploma in Music Performance Australia (French Horn)
Memberships, Societies and Associations
- An active member of Forensic Engineers Society of Australia (FESA)
Tel: (03) 9376 1844