Dohrmann Consulting take pride in their position as a leading Ergonomic, Engineering and Expert opinion firm. We are always on the lookout for qualified talent, and value friendliness, thoroughness and a team approach.
Currently, we are actively looking for the following to join us at our Head Office in Melbourne:
Safety and Ergonomics Consultant
Safety and ergonomics consultant
Established in 1981, Dohrmann Consulting is one of Australia’s leading ergonomics and safety consultancies. We work with many of Australia’s best-known organisations, providing them with expert advice and support that enables them to make their workplaces and products safe, comfortable and efficient.
Our mission is to improve the lives of Australians through the practical application of human-centred principles.
Our two key differences as consultants lie in our team-based approach and our strong focus on the importance of practical, effective solutions to our clients’ safety and ergonomics problems. Known also for our courteous attention to clients and prompt attention to requests, we consequently enjoy a strong reputation across Australia for our expert ergonomics and safety advice.
Continued recent growth has driven the need for another enthusiastic and talented ergonomist.
Based at in Melbourne’s inner north and reporting to the Managing Director, you will join our friendly team of other ergonomics and safety specialists. You must be degree-qualified to undergraduate level in a relevant discipline, and will also ideally have additional post-graduate qualifications in one of either:
- human factors;
- biomedical engineering;
- rehabilitation engineering;
- risk engineering; or,
- a related health science.
However, relevant work experience in one of the foregoing health science fields in lieu of formal qualifications may also be acceptable. A minimum of five years of professional work experience is essential.
If you don’t already have it, we expect that you will work towards eventual recognition as a Certified Professional Ergonomist with the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia (HFESA).
Your work with us will include both conventional ergonomics consulting work, and expert opinion preparation in litigated claims. This will provide you with a unique opportunity to broaden your skill set, and really sharpen and refine your ergonomics and safety knowledge.
The ergonomics work you will undertake will involve assessments of all kinds (products, workplace, processes); ergonomics evaluation of and advice on designs; safety audits and inspections, manual handling risk assessments and training.
This work will typically involve on-site inspections, interviewing, measurement and observation. You will usually then need to produce a professional report that clearly sets out the issues and suggests a range of solutions. Often clients will also require you to present to them and their managers.
We consult across most industries – building interiors, public transport, warehousing and logistics, schools, public authorities, agriculture, manufacturing and more. You will also complete a wide range of projects; from reviewing Melbourne’s trams to helping architects humanise new building designs, to reviewing large warehouses.
You will also undertake incident investigation and the provision of related expert opinion. This will allow you to develop and apply your strong forensic, analytical and written communication abilities.
These legal investigations arise from litigated injury claims, on behalf of either a plaintiff or a defendant. The work will usually involve matters involving strain injury (manual handling & overuse/RSI), plant (fixed and mobile) and machinery incidents, slips, trips and falls or product failures. Every case requires a thorough investigation, a focused analysis of the relevant interactions between person, equipment and environment, and (ultimately) a clear opinion on liability.
Occasionally you will be required to provide court testimony on your opinions as expressed in your written reports. Your legal investigations will typically require you to:
- interview parties involved in personal injury claims (including employees, employers and related parties, as appropriate);
- inspect incident sites (occasional, brief regional and interstate travel will be required);
- critically examine products and equipment to determine their part in the incident;
- undertake or commission tests where appropriate;
- analyse documents, material and other source information associated with the incidents;
- identify information gaps, and conduct appropriate further inquiries;
- unravel how and why an incident or injury occurred;
- identify applicable safety standards and guidance;
- assess liability: whose fault was it? Why?
- express your findings and expert opinion clearly, accurately and succinctly in report form;
- liaise professionally throughout with solicitor clients; and,
- occasionally give oral evidence in court.
Essential attributes include:
- fluent written and spoken communication skills;
- a track record of investigating system or product failures;
- a working knowledge of human capabilities, limits and abilities;
- a demonstrated understanding of incident causation;
- a systematic, lateral-thinking attitude; and,
- an openness to teamwork and peer review.
You will be expected to treat our clients with the utmost care and respect, and to nurture and develop these relationships. Delivering industry-leading advice in an efficient and timely fashion and keeping promises is an essential part of the role.
You will be able to recount times where you have successfully investigated an incident of some sort (particularly involving a failure of a product, machine or system of work) and will demonstrate a passion for learning about new workplaces, industries and systems.
Most critically, you will be able to demonstrate your ability to write accurate and succinct reports that effectively describe complex concepts to non-technical audiences, and to think and talk on your feet.
This is a constantly interesting and challenging role, in a supportive and family-friendly workplace.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply with your covering letter and résumé.
Are you smart, friendly, flexible and self-motivated? Join our family-based consultancy in Flemington and help us develop and nurture our client relationships.
Established in 1981, Dohrmann Consulting is a leading safety and ergonomics consultancy based in Melbourne’s inner north. We provide Australia’s largest brands with expert insights and support enabling their workplaces to be safer, more comfortable and more productive.
We enjoy a strong reputation for high quality advice and for our innovative solutions to clients’ safety and ergonomics problems. The culture is one where everyone is self-motivated, appreciates quality and are happy to assist others. It also includes regular afternoon tea with cake and conversation.
Our Relationship Marketing Manager has recently gone on maternity leave, returning in November 2019. In the meantime, we need an experienced marketing coordinator who is up for the next challenge in your career to keep our well-established marketing program running smoothly this year. Depending on business growth, there may be scope for you to continue with us on a permanent basis once the RMM returns.
On a two day per week (0.4 FTE) basis, the Marketing Coordinator will assist with driving our growth through the successful co-ordination of various planned marketing activities. While this core calendar of campaigns and events must be executed, there is nonetheless scope for you to improve the existing program and implement your own ideas.
Reporting to and working closely with the Office Manager, the Marketing Coordinator will:
- Coordinate our annual key speaking opportunities at conferences and tradeshow attendance (e.g. Safety In Action conference, Australian Law Alliance conferences). A small amount of interstate travel may be required.
- Organise our client hospitality events (e.g. after work drinks).
- Manage our WordPress-based website, ensuring that it is functional, user-friendly, and an interesting site that increasingly acts as a lead source.
- Work with our external WordPress developer partner to solve more complex technical website issues.
- Use MailChimp to deliver customised email content to clients (e.g. pre and post hospitality event emails, e-newsletters).
- Run the client footy tipping competition.
- Manage our online presence on the major social media platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube).
- Implement, manage, analyse and report on client feedback. Regular personal contact with clients in this regard will be essential.
- As time allows and business requirements demand, assist with routine administrative tasks (e.g. answering telephone enquiries).
- Assist with the management of consultant diaries, including occasional liaison with clients to organise consultant appointments.
Success in this role will require you to have had:
- at least four years of relevant marketing experience in similar roles. N.B. B2B marketing experience (particularly in a professional services environment) will be highly regarded;
- experience in using WordPress, Microsoft Dynamics and MailChimp (or equivalents);
- experience in working independently (noting that help will nonetheless usually not be far away when you need it);
- experience in learning a job quickly and effectively;
- experience in dealing professionally with people (especially clients); and,
- experience in planning and executing great client hospitality and tradeshow events.
You will ideally possess undergraduate tertiary qualifications in marketing or a closely related discipline, although diploma-level candidates with substantial and relevant experience will be considered.
This will be an interesting and challenging role, in a flexible and family-friendly workplace.
All applications should include a suitable cover letter, reflecting your experience relevant to this role and résumé.
Please email email@example.com to apply with your covering letter and résumé.