Mark Dohrmann is one of Australia’s most renowned Chartered Professional Engineers, Certified Professional Ergonomists and health and safety experts. He has designed, trained, advised and encouraged thousands of Australians into safer and more productive work. He lectured full-time in ergonomics and founded Australia’s first independent ergonomics consultancy firm in 1977, now known as Dohrmann Consulting.
With over four decades of practical engineering, ergonomics and safety experience, Mark has helped organisations throughout Australia and Asia-Pacific to improve their workplace design and risk management.
Some examples of his work include:
- Design of accessible public transport platforms, stops, gates and ticketing machines for new public transport ticketing system (KAMCO Consortium)
- Design of chocolate packing line to reduce and control strain injuries (Nestle)
- Modifications to trams and design of driver cabins (Yarra Trams)
- Ergonomics advice on new hospital interiors (Bendigo Hospital, Royal Children’s Hospital)
A recognised authority in accident investigations, Mark has provided expert liability opinion in over 7000 personal injury cases. He investigates, reports and gives evidence mainly in matters of overuse strain injuries, machinery, industrial safety and both product and public liability. He has extensive court experience across every major jurisdiction throughout Australia.
Some examples of cases where Mark has provided expert opinion in court:
Highly regarded as an excellent speaker and trainer, Mark presents on topical issues relating to safety, ergonomics, human factors and health and safety at state, national and international conferences.
Mark holds a Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) and a Graduate Certificate in Human Engineering (Ergonomics).
Mark’s interests include strain injury prevention, adult education, homelessness, needs of young mothers, and supporting people with disabilities seeking independence in their daily lives. He likes repairing things, genealogy and numismatics. An avid golfer, you’ll find Mark enjoying a relaxing round of golf or enjoying an icy cold beer at the 19th hole. He adores his family, grandchildren and the Melbourne Demons.
Awards & Achievements
- 2020: Board member, Caroline Chisholm Society
- 2018 – 2019: Judge, Australian National Construction Competition (Engineers Australia)
- 2011 – 2017: Chairman, Sacred Heart Mission Inc (St Kilda)
- 2007: Awarded the Ron Cumming Medal by the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia for distinguished service to the Australian ergonomics profession
- 1994: Awarded the Order of Australia for his charity work with the Victorian state-wide Solve Disability Solutions, which he founded in 1975, and served on its Board for 43 years
- 1977: Founded Australia’s first independent ergonomics consultancy firm, Dohrmann Consulting
- 1975: Founding Chairman, Technical Aid to the Disabled (Victoria), now Solve Disability Solutions
Memberships, Societies and Associations
- Member of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia (HFESA) – Certified Professional Ergonomist
- Founding Committee member of Forensic Engineers Society of Australia (FESA)
- Fellow of the Institution of Engineers, Australia Engineers Austalia and Chartered Professional Engineer
Tel: (03) 9376 1844