SENIOR CONSULTING ENGINEER
John Dimopoulos is a qualified mechanical engineer and safety specialist with extensive experience in the application of engineering and human factors principles, product design, failure analysis and risk control.
He has over 20 years’ experience in slip, trip and fall investigations, along with investigations into product and system failures. With significant industry experience in the automotive sector, John also possesses valuable skills in risk assessment, product engineering design, validation, and manufacturing processes.
A skilled forensic incident investigator, John has prepared hundreds of expert witness reports, attending court to give robust evidence on falls, machinery, mobile plants, agricultural equipment, failed storage racks and more.
Some examples of court cases where John has provided expert opinion include:
- Potter v Yeung & Anor
- Chaffey v MPM Maintenance Services Pty Ltd & Anor
- Evans v Materia Trading Pty Ltd
- Da Costa v Bitu-Mill – court evidence provided via Zoom
John regularly provides practical advice to organisations on safety, compliance, and risk assessments, as well as justified performance solutions advice on certain areas of the National Construction Code (NCC) / Building Code of Australia (BCA) – in particular, access, egress and slip resistance surface compliance.
Some examples of his work include:
- Serious workplace injuries (e.g. amputations) involving plant, material handling vehicles (e.g. forklifts), guarding of machinery, and unsafe systems of work
- Forensic investigations into falls from trucks, scaffolding, ladders and stairs
- Performance solutions and advice for stairways, ramps and other pedestrian requirements for the building industry in line with NCC/BCA requirements
John holds a Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical with Honours), a Post Graduate Certificate in Ergonomics and a Post Graduate Diploma in Management.
In his spare time, he enjoys renovating houses, photography and walking his two old English sheepdogs.
Awards & Achievements
- 2014: PRINCE2 Project Management (Foundation & Practitioner Level)
- 2012: Design for Six Sigma (Black Belt), General Motors
Memberships, Societies and Associations
- An active member of the Forensic Engineers Society of Australia (FESA)
Tel: (03) 9376 1844